Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

What to do when there's no rowing??

Ok, I need to rephrase the title a bit: "what to do when there's no rowing for you?". There has been PLENTY of rowing going on. After HRR I personally didn't have much going on but there were the u23 and Jr World Championships (in which I had a ton of friends participaiting) along with other national and international events to keep track of. Let's not forget all my friends training with their respective squads for the 2011 World Rowing Championships in Bled, Slovenia in only a short week or so.  This is a really important WC because it's Olympic qualification year... yup!

But I'M not going to worlds (sadly, but I'm working on it!) so what to do with my time??? After spending 4 weeks at home I've returned to the UK and have about a week and a half before we start formally training again. Today I find myself sitting on my bed looking out at the rainy-ness that is Saturday afternoon. So I've decided to be erudite! It is my aspiration to go back to grad school for public and international affairs .. and the top programs at schools like Princeton, Harvard, UPenn require superb GRE scores in combination with a myriad of other qualifications such as being a diplomat for example (no, I'm not kidding...).

Without the factor of diplomacy on my side I'll have to work my other qualities and of course, blaze the GRE.  That being said I'm sitting here making vocabulary flashcards, doing online quizzes and trying not to pillorize the people who make me take such exams. So the point of this garrulous post is that just because you don't have any rowing to do doesn't mean that you can't pursue other ambitions. No matter what your ambitions are GO FOR THEM! And have a little fun too! Until next time...

Ps, support the women of the US National team by sponsoring their 2012 Power & Grace calendar (or just buying one). Info can be found on Megan Kalmoe's blog http://megankalmoe.com/2011/08/01/power-and-grace-get-some/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment